About Me

My photo
just shooting questions to the universe and hoping that when the right time comes I will receive some answers, or if not, I will be given something to enrich my life.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Life is not a series of check marks

I was an accountant, but I haven't been doing accounting work for more than ten years already. However, some old habits never die.
Everyday I have my list of to-do things. I meticulously make a list of each and everything I want to do and put a red check mark once I've done it. I don't know why, but seeing many red check marks gives me a sort of high, like I have accomplished a lot. Some days, too, just seeing those check marks gives me a feeling of being in control of the situation, especially when I have to juggle a lot of things to do. So my day is like running from the starting line and, hopefully, arriving at the finish line, at least for that day. Very linear, isn't it?
I am growing into the realization that life is not at all linear. It is not a race to the finish line. In fact, who knows whether there is a finish line at all? I may do the same thing, but it isn't really the same, since I am a different person. Circumstances are different, and hey, even the weather and the time could be different.
I wish I will be attentive enough to realize that as I do the same things over and over again, the call is to go deeper and to discover always something new.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha
    I can very well relate with that 'things-to-do' list... I guess it was also part of our formation... but you're right-- and I am realizing it here as well, it's not all a matter of simply accomplishing those tasks... there 'is always something more...new to discover.'
    Thanks for sharing Sr!

    ReplyDelete